Lesson Four • Grow
Pastor Ferdinand Sanders
1. Have you ever tried to plant anything? What was it? How did it go?
In the Bible, spiritual growth is often talked about or described using parables or metaphors of farming and agriculture.
2. Why do you think God would use the concept of planting or growing seeds to describe how we grow spiritually?
Read Luke 8:4-15.
3. Why is the Word of God like a seed?
THE FOUR TYPES OF SOIL
Read Luke 8:5.
4. What happens to the seed that falls on the packed soil (the path)?
Read Luke 8:12.
5. What happens to seeds that are spread, but do not get planted?
Read Luke 8:6.
6. What happens to the seed that falls on the stony soil?
Read Luke 8:13.
7. What does it mean to have spiritual roots? Why are they important?
Read Luke 8:7.
8. What happens to the seed that falls in the thorns?
Read Luke 8:14.
9. What are some examples of weeds or thorns that choke out a person from living for God?
10. What are some thorns in your life that you need to get rid of?
Read Luke 8:8.
11. What happens to a seed that falls on “good soil”?
Read Luke 8:15.
12. What are some things that you need to do in your life to make your soil good?
13. What change will you see in your life when you have good soil?
14. How can your Growth Community help cultivate each other’s soil?
15. What are your spiritual growth goals for this school year?