Lesson Sixteen • Millennium
Dr. Randy T. Johnson
I have friends who are Democrats. I have friends who are Republicans. I have family members who vote Democratic. I have family members who vote Republican. I value and love them. They are intelligent and have a reason for how they vote.
1. What are some of the positive points of the Democratic Party?
2. What are some of the positive points of the Republican Party?
Hopefully, this was a healthy discussion. Both “sides” have valid arguments, but the key to remember is that neither party can save America. The world (including the “Christian” country of America) needs Jesus. Only Jesus can save us. There is a time when Jesus will reign on Earth.
3. What would you change if you were the President of the United States?
4. What do you think will be areas of concern that Jesus will address when He reigns?
The Millennium is the time when the Lord Jesus Christ will reign on Earth for one thousand years. Revelation chapter 20 addresses the Millennium. There are three major views of the Millennium.
• Postmillennialism – the thousand years represent the triumph of the Gospel in the period leading up to the second coming of Christ. The return of Christ will follow the Millennium. (Some key supporters: Charles Hodge, A.H. Strong, David Brown)
• Amillennialism – denies a literal Millennium or reign of Christ on Earth. The millennial reign of Christ is reduced to a spiritual reign in the hearts of believers. (Some key supporters: Augustine, Louis Berkhof, William Hendriksen, Abraham Kuyper)
• Premillennialism – interprets Revelation chapter 20 as referring to a literal thousand-year reign of Christ following His second coming. As the Second Coming occurs before the Millennium, it is therefore premillennial. Both the amillennial and postmillennial views must interpret Revelation chapter 20 in a nonliteral sense. (Some key supporters: Lewis Sperry Chafer, A.C. Gaebelein, H.A. Ironside, Charles Ryrie, C.I. Scofield, Merrill F. Unger, and Justin Martyr – and many other early church fathers)
After summarizing these three views, John Walvoord makes an interesting observation, “Many passages speak of the second coming of Christ being followed by a reign of righteousness on earth (Psalm 2; 24; 72; 96; Isaiah 2; 9:6-7; 11-12; 63:1-6; 65-66; Jeremiah 23:5-6; 30:8-11; Daniel 2:44; 7:13-14; Hosea 3:4-5; Amos 9:11-15; Micah 4:1-8; Zephaniah 3:14-20; Zechariah 8:1-8; 14:1-9; Matthew 19:28; 25:31-46; Acts 15:16-18; Romans 11:25-27; Jude 14-15; Revelation 2:25-28; 19:11-20:6).”
Revelation 20:1-3 sets the stage for the Millennium, “Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain. And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and threw him into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he might not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were ended. After that he must be released for a little while.”
5. What event sets the stage for a peaceful Millennium?
6. What titles are used for Satan? Are you familiar with any other titles for him?
7. Does it surprise you that “an angel” will be able to bind Satan?
Revelation 20:4-6 continues the narrative, “Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.”
8. How many times in these six verses is the Millennium referred to as a thousand years?
9. Who will reign with Christ in the Millennium?
10. What are the criteria for those who will reign with Christ in the Millennium?
11. Outside of ruling with Christ, what will be their responsibility?
Faithfulness is rewarded. Please do not overlook the tragedy that had already taken place. Some believers had been beheaded. They refused to worship anyone or anything other than the One True Living God. They watched brothers and sisters in Christ die gruesome deaths. They looked death in the eye and chose faithfulness to Christ. Their faithfulness is rewarded.
12. How and where do you need to be more faithful to the Lord?
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” Helen Keller